Sunday, December 31, 2006

Remembering Mom

Little did I know that seventeen years ago today would be the last day I would spend with my dear Mother, Joyce. There would be no more Happy New Years for our family since there's nothing happy about the day you lost your wife, Mother and best friend.

Not a day goes by that I don't remember what an incredible woman my Mother was; a woman who personified the word grace. Not a day goes by that I wish I would have known that our time together was limited so I could say all the things left unsaid. Not a day goes by that I don't wish that she could have met her only grandchild and that Grace could know the person I look up to more than any other.

I feel lucky that I was with my Mother as she faded away and to exchange those bittersweet final words with. I told her that I love her and her reply to me was "I know you do". There is nothing better she could have said to me than to acknowledge that she felt my love, even if I don't feel I did a good enough job in showing my love to her.

And to my sweet daughter who just crawled up into my lap to wipe away my tears and tell me that she loves me - "I know you do baby girl. And I love you, too".

8 Comments:

Blogger Jacquie said...

Aw. Very nice.

Trying to figure out who you look like. I see you in both of your parents!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Alyson and Ford said...

A lot of times the words of love are left unspoken if only because the heart has already said it for us.

Peace
fm

4:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

(((hugs)))

12:07 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

She's with you now...she's been your guiding light to being a Mom to Grace.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

That was such a nice post about your mother. It's horrible losing family members around the holidays. It's just never the same! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

6:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Now more than ever I think you will reflect on the time with your mother and the valuable lessons learned. I'm glad you had such a nice relationship with her.

She is watching you now.

4:05 PM  
Blogger dimari said...

Hi:
I dont comment that much,Im just paper chasing so i have a lot to learn,but what i have learned so far is how much in common we have. I lost my mom on valentines day (the irony to loose the greatest love of your life that day)so i really know what you feel.My only hope is to be as half as good as she was and teach my daugther what a great granny she has wacthing over her.
Dimari
lookingformysunshine

10:39 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Kim, I'm sending a great BIG hug your way!

What wonderful words about your mom, especially about how she had such grace...that's a beautiful way to describe someone. I have a very strong feeling that your Gracie will be describing you that very same way someday!

Wishing you peace and a happy year ahead with Gracie.

Donna :)

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home