Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Am I Really Going to be a Mom?

I am sitting in a room in our house that is filled with things for a baby. As I look around me, I see crib bedding, toys, a partially assembled armoire, and a rocking chair that belonged to my husband when he was a child. I remember spending months collecting paperwork and having my life scrutinized in order to be approved to be a parent. A binder on the desk I'm sitting at holds a copy of our Dossier. So why don't I feel like I'm going to be a Mother?

I don't have morning sickness, I can't see my belly growing, and no one is asking when I'm due. I haven't been to my Obstetrician and I haven't had a pregnancy test or an ultrasound. The only thing I have is a Log-in-Date and faith that in aproximately 9 months we will see a photograph of a baby girl in China that will be our daughter.


Before I go to sleep every night, I pray that this won't be like all the times before when I was so close to parenthood only to have it stripped away. I hold my breath and hope that nothing will come in the way of us and our daughter.

I tell myself every single day that we're not just playing house and a baby girl, OUR baby girl, will soon occupy this room. Sooner or later it's bound to sink in.

Oh, and just for kicks, I park in the "Expecting Mother" parking spots at Babies-R-Us.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jacquie said...

ha!! Good for you on the parking spot. I'm emailing you......

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Oh, and speaking of Babies r Us...... have you registered? Are you gonna register? When are you gonna? Can I be any more annoying?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yep, we have already registered and actually received a few items we registered for as Christmas gifts.

We proudly strutted up to the baby registry counter only to be shot down with "would you like a print out of someone's baby registry"? My response? "Uh no. I'm here to register for MY baby". How dare they try to steal my thunder!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

The "great" thing about adoption is that you don't get to dip your toe ito the water to see if it's too cold. You cannonball baby!!!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Gen said...

Yep, I am right there with you. But thanks for the expecting spot idea...I am going to have to try that. Maybe I'll take a pic ;)

9:01 PM  
Blogger Family Bits said...

The wait is the hardest part. Especially when the wait is longer than you originally thought. Friends stop getting excited. Then it happens, and the moment you start writing it all on paper, you realize you are drawing the picture of who your baby really is. It's AMAZING! Overnight, we went from childless to really feeling like we became parents.

6:15 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

I'm with ya! I'm so cautiously optimistic that it's hard to get excited. I think I'm tamping it all down inside.

Oh, and I went to BrU yesterday, paused at one of those parking spots, and then drove around to another regular one and parked. I just couldn't do it. Aren't I lame?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

That's so funny...the other day I parked in the expectant mothers parking spot as well! Why not? I'm expecting!!!!

Tiffany

8:55 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I so understand this feeling. But I do believe it will happen - I mean I have a piece of paper with an LID that tells me so, right?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Girl - I shopped and shopped for Delaynee. I mostly went to the Gently Used store every weekend and purchased something. I nested VERY early. It made me feel closer to her and I needed to feel that feeling of closeness.

Hang in there - Sending happy baby thoughts your way.

Hugs -

11:28 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Kim, I feel EXACTLY the same way. I'm gathering all this baby stuff and getting ready to set up a room for Lauren, but part of me is holding back on the excitement because I just couldn't bear another disappointment. I guess it's just a matter of faith.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Yes you're going to be a mom! I'm so excited for you! It will happen. Hang in there!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Kim,
Thanks for your sweet note about Lizzie. I have bookmarked your blog and will be following along. To answer your question in this post, "YES!" It will happen and the day it does the wait will seem like nothing. I promise. We are living proof. I didn't think the day would ever come and when it did it was the most surreal experience ever. It will happen and your are not playing house. Good luck!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I just found your blog and i love it! We are in the international adoption process from Guatemala. I feel the same way...about being a mom and having so little tangible evidence of it all.
thanks so much for sharing!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home