LuLu's Story
Warning: VERY long post ahead.
I've been asked a few times to post stories about our dogs, so here is Lucy's story. Today marks the one year anniversary of her Gotcha Day.
It all started innocently on January 8th of last year when Tom and I stopped by the Geauga County Humane Society Rescue Village to donate some bedding items for the animals. The Rescue Village is an amazing facility dedicated to providing loving homes to many dogs and cats. So while we were there, we decided to check out the dogs as usual. We stopped to visit each dog and then we came across Bonnie the Basset Hound. Bonnie was on-hold for another family and we asked the front desk to call us if Bonnie's prospective owners didn't take her. Bonnie was adorable, sweet and only 6 months old. Perfect for this growing dog family.
The next day, Tom called the Rescue Village to see if Bonnie's new owners showed up. He was told that Bonnie was walking out the door with her new family that very minute, BUT...Bonnie's sister Bobbie was back. Back? That can't be good. Yes, Bobbie was adopted and returned by one of the employee's of the Rescue Village after just one night. Did we think to ask why? Uhh, no. Tom and I discussed the possibility of adopting Bobbie, but were put off by her bad track record and decided against it.
Later that day Tom went out to run an errand. After noticing that he had been gone an unusually long period of time, the phone rings. It's Tom and he's calling from Bobbie's kennel at the Rescue Village. "Kim, she's absolutely precious, you've got to meet her" were his words. I caved and told him to put her on hold and we would come back the next evening to meet her with Casey. If Casey didn't like her, all bets were off.
Are you still reading? Good. Here's the rest of the story...
Once arriving at The Village, Tom and I left Casey in the car for a few minutes so I could meet Bobbie. It was love at first sight. We went in the play room with her and I decided right then and there that she was going home with us. I couldn't imagine why on Earth she would have been returned. She was a sweet, beautiful baby girl. We were told that the reason she ended up at The Village in the first place is because the breeder bred "show dogs" and couldn't sell Bobbie because of her speckles. Gimme a break. I digress...
Crap. Casey's still in the car and he's the one who calls the shots. Tom went out to get him and I fell deeper into puppy-love. Casey walks into The Village and is treated like a rock star...people oohing and aahing over him, giving him treats, and he's eating it up. It's going great until he gets to the play room. The brakes go on when he sees me sitting there with the speckled one. The look on his face said "oh shit". Casey spent most of his time in the play room sitting on the bench with me, trying to hide, and refusing to even look at the puppy. We talked to one of the placement specialists there and they thought that they would be fine together but it would take a little time to get acclamated. Good. That's what I wanted to hear. Let's go home.
So we did, we went home. We changed Bobbie's name to Lucy because she just didn't look like a Bobbie. Suffice it to say that it took several weeks for Casey to get used to sharing his turf with Lu. She totally came in and rocked his little Retriever world as he knew it. Slowly he came around and they are now the best of friends.
And we have our theories on why Lucy was returned after being adopted by the Rescue Village employee. We think Bing showed up. Bing is Lucy's alter-ego. She'll be sitting there quietly and all of a sudden she'll start running around uncontrollaby like a mad woman, bouncing like the ball in a pinball machine from one place to another. Thus the name Bing (you know, the sound a pinball machine makes "bing, bing, bing").
There were many times that Lucy tested my patience to the hilt. She is bullheaded and was very hard to potty-train, but I stuck with her and she is such a great pet. We love our little girl. Happy Gotcha Day, Louie!
I've been asked a few times to post stories about our dogs, so here is Lucy's story. Today marks the one year anniversary of her Gotcha Day.
It all started innocently on January 8th of last year when Tom and I stopped by the Geauga County Humane Society Rescue Village to donate some bedding items for the animals. The Rescue Village is an amazing facility dedicated to providing loving homes to many dogs and cats. So while we were there, we decided to check out the dogs as usual. We stopped to visit each dog and then we came across Bonnie the Basset Hound. Bonnie was on-hold for another family and we asked the front desk to call us if Bonnie's prospective owners didn't take her. Bonnie was adorable, sweet and only 6 months old. Perfect for this growing dog family.
The next day, Tom called the Rescue Village to see if Bonnie's new owners showed up. He was told that Bonnie was walking out the door with her new family that very minute, BUT...Bonnie's sister Bobbie was back. Back? That can't be good. Yes, Bobbie was adopted and returned by one of the employee's of the Rescue Village after just one night. Did we think to ask why? Uhh, no. Tom and I discussed the possibility of adopting Bobbie, but were put off by her bad track record and decided against it.
Later that day Tom went out to run an errand. After noticing that he had been gone an unusually long period of time, the phone rings. It's Tom and he's calling from Bobbie's kennel at the Rescue Village. "Kim, she's absolutely precious, you've got to meet her" were his words. I caved and told him to put her on hold and we would come back the next evening to meet her with Casey. If Casey didn't like her, all bets were off.
Are you still reading? Good. Here's the rest of the story...
Once arriving at The Village, Tom and I left Casey in the car for a few minutes so I could meet Bobbie. It was love at first sight. We went in the play room with her and I decided right then and there that she was going home with us. I couldn't imagine why on Earth she would have been returned. She was a sweet, beautiful baby girl. We were told that the reason she ended up at The Village in the first place is because the breeder bred "show dogs" and couldn't sell Bobbie because of her speckles. Gimme a break. I digress...
Crap. Casey's still in the car and he's the one who calls the shots. Tom went out to get him and I fell deeper into puppy-love. Casey walks into The Village and is treated like a rock star...people oohing and aahing over him, giving him treats, and he's eating it up. It's going great until he gets to the play room. The brakes go on when he sees me sitting there with the speckled one. The look on his face said "oh shit". Casey spent most of his time in the play room sitting on the bench with me, trying to hide, and refusing to even look at the puppy. We talked to one of the placement specialists there and they thought that they would be fine together but it would take a little time to get acclamated. Good. That's what I wanted to hear. Let's go home.
So we did, we went home. We changed Bobbie's name to Lucy because she just didn't look like a Bobbie. Suffice it to say that it took several weeks for Casey to get used to sharing his turf with Lu. She totally came in and rocked his little Retriever world as he knew it. Slowly he came around and they are now the best of friends.
And we have our theories on why Lucy was returned after being adopted by the Rescue Village employee. We think Bing showed up. Bing is Lucy's alter-ego. She'll be sitting there quietly and all of a sudden she'll start running around uncontrollaby like a mad woman, bouncing like the ball in a pinball machine from one place to another. Thus the name Bing (you know, the sound a pinball machine makes "bing, bing, bing").
There were many times that Lucy tested my patience to the hilt. She is bullheaded and was very hard to potty-train, but I stuck with her and she is such a great pet. We love our little girl. Happy Gotcha Day, Louie!
1/10/05 - Lucy's First Night Home

.jpg)

8 Comments:
Awwww, what a good story. Thanks for telling us.
Now that's my kinda post!
So cute! I'll have to remember to post about Beau's Gotcha day! It was meant to be.
Tiffany
Such a cutie dog. I couldn't have left her there either!
AW....... SO sweet.... It is amazing how puppies can wrap us around their little dew claws!!!!
Lisa
"Bing"!! LOVE THAT!!
Aren't pets just the best??! What would we do without their unconditional love and companionship?!
I love dog stories! Lucy is such a sweetie.
Monica (mk)
Awwwwwww!!!! Thank You so much for sharing Miss Lucy's story!!!! She looks like such a precious little girl! And Thank You SO much for rescuing! It always makes me so happy to hear dog rescue stories! For me, rescue is the only option! The best dogs end up in shelters and just need some extra love, time, care and attention! I can't wait until I am old enough to volunteer at the local shelter! :)
Dogs are awesome...and rescuing a dog, is the best!:D
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home