Thursday, November 09, 2006

Break

Hi all. Better late than never, but we made it home safely Saturday night after 30 hours of traveling. Grace was a trooper and did wonderfully...much better than us!

I've decided to take a break from blogging until we get settled into home life. We are dealing with some issues at home including lack of sleep and jet-lag on all of our parts, Grace's crippling fear of Casey and Lucy, and some bonding/attachment issues with Tom and her severe attachment to me. I'm too tired to go into details since I'm averaging 3 hours of sleep a night, but let's just say that things are far more difficult at home than they were in China. But our little girl is a doll and we love her so much.

Family and friends, I'm not one to solicit help, but we sure could use some. I don't know what we need exactly, maybe just a phone call offering support or a home-cooked meal - I simply can't take another day of take-out. The most joyous time of our lives is also the most trying, and we're struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We know it's there, but we just can't see it yet. I guess we we didn't fully educate ourselves on the issues that surround toddler adoption and our ill-preparedness is biting us in the butts now.

Also, to those of you who have emailed and not received a response yet, we haven't forgotten about you. I'm simply too brain-dead to respond personally right now.

Talk to you all soon. Hopefully.

18 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Hey Kim and Family, keep on truckin. Just remember it takes 2 weeks to get over the nasty jet lag and you know what it is, but your little girl (who probably has never flown and stayed in a different time zone?) is freaking at this weird condition where her body and mind are a little out of whack and she doesn't have the English to explain what upsets her.

Hang in there, the sun will slowly come out of the clouds.

(I hope that doesn't come off too condescending - just trying to say we've been there)

4:17 AM  
Blogger Chrissie said...

Good luck, Kim and family - will be thinking of you.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Kim:

We've been there and done that and I assure you if I was closer, I'd bring you dinner and help out in a heartbeat. Since I'm not, I can tell you my crockpot was my best friend for a long time. Throw it in early, eat it later.

Olivia had issues with PomPom at first so my mom kept the dog for us for a week or so.

We wish you all the best and we'll be here when you get back.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

Oh kim, I know this doesn't help much, but I wished I lived closer to you. I would love to help.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Kim, our thoughts and prayers are with you. while that doesn't help to feed or nourish your body, hopefully the prayers will nourish your weiry souls. God Bless!

7:20 AM  
Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Hi, I don't think I've commented here before, but now seems like a good time. I just wanted to say that everything will work out, and I am sending good thoughts your way.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Kim -
Hang in!!! Hopefully in a few weeks when everyone is more rested things will fall into place and get easier.

Wish I lived closer to help you in person. Thinking of you!

Colleen

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mom 2 six said...

It will get better !!!
Been there and done it !!
Yes- a toddler lends to more challenges....I too wish I had more info before getting my Mia-Faith BUT it does get a lot easier once the jet lag issue resloves.
I have found comfort in talking to parents that have received toddlers. It's amazing how alike the toddler behaviors are. There were definate bonding issues here.
Hitting, biting, head banging,eye blinking...
The best part is with unconditional love so much of it went away or has lessened dramatically. Just focus on getting through the day and getting some sleep. The rest will come together rather quickly.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

Kim,
God bless you and your family as you all adjust to parenthood and each other. I don't have any experience on what you are going thru, nor do I live nearby, but I can definitely offer you my prayers and good wishes.
I hope life at home settles down soon!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Sending you vibes for quick jet lag recovery and a good night's rest.{{{Hugs}}}

3:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

A blogger break is completely understandable right now. I hope everything settles a down and gets easier for you real soon. Sending good thoughts!

5:36 PM  
Blogger glo said...

Ok Well I just want to add my prayers and good wishes for all of you. I will be watching and waitng for your BLOG when you are able. She looks like a very sweet sensitive little gal. She will settle in to your love and security as she processes all of this. I too surely wish I were closer. Looks like some great suggestions on here for you. maybe take turns napping for a while if you need to. I sure hope your support system has rallied around. i am on the grandma side of this, but I do have a lcue what the parent side is like.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Get some rest, enjoy being home. I hope you get some good meals, if I lived closer I'd cook! Thanks for sharing your trip and I look forward to your posts once you're settled in and rested.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Thumbelina's Mom said...

Each day is a new day. Praying for you!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Kim,

We had some of the same issues with Katie being terrified of Riley when we came home. We gated off wherever Katie was so she could see Riley & see us interacting with him. It takes time & is not easy but it will happen.

As for the rest, well sleep deprivation is the worst. The first few weeks home are killer, it does get easier. Hang in there, you are not alone. I haven't kept up with blogging or message boards that much since we've been home simply because I am so tired. Just remember to be good to yourself.

Thinking of you.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Hey girlfriend --

So happy to hear that you guys are home. Hang in there, it's tough right now, but things WILL eventually get better. Don't be afraid to seek out help -- that's what being a parent is all about, doing what's best for you and your family. Let Tom do as much as possible, that way Grace will know that he can take care of her too!! It's hard, but things do get better. Just know that we are all out here to support you!

We love you guys-
Tonia

7:02 PM  
Blogger dreamer said...

Looks like we might live 'near' each other based on your flight plans. If you seriously need some help, I'm a 'virtual' stranger but happy to do anything I can. Just go to our blog and post a comment.

hang in there, day by day.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

On my second adoption trip (my dd was a toddler as well), people used to tell me it took 6 months to feel normal again. Boy, were they ever right on with that one!. Just go by baby steps - sleep comes first and you've all go to get enough of that to even be able to make a good attempt at the other challenges that will come your way. I had a long road ahead of me when I got home with #2, but it was worth the journey to be in the relative bliss that we have today. You'll get there too, for that I have no doubt.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home