I'm Pregnant?
I don't think I'm pregnant, but maybe I should take a test! American Baby sent me a 'Welcome Issue' of their magazine, and right there on the cover it says "Congratulations! YOU'RE PREGNANT - NOW WHAT?". So maybe they know something I don't. In the span of 5 days, I also received unsolicited information from Cord Blood Registry, Ohio Tuition Trust Authority, Viacord, and Baby Waves 3D 4D Ultrasound. Clearly all of these folks are in cahoots with Babies-R-Us, where we have registered. I really don't appreciate them selling our names like this, and certainly don't appreciate BRU suggesting that every customer that registers with them is pregnant. For example, when Tom and I went in to register, we proudly sat down at the counter and the clerk showed us how to operate the scanner and explained the packet to us. Then she went to enter our information and asked what our due date is. I responded "we don't have a due date". She countered with "what do you mean?". I proudly said that we're adopting our daughter from China and that we don't have a due date and don't know exactly when we will meet her. She quipped back that she needed to enter a due date, so I just made one up. You'll be happy to know that we're due August 1st. Yeah right.
Man, does this just get under my skin. I am fully aware that I am over-sensitive about this kind of thing, but to me, this is narrow-minded. Folks, there is more than one way to have a baby, and I'm proud to say that our angel will be adopted by a couple that couldn't love her any more if they had seen a 4D picture of her in-utero.
.jpg)

12 Comments:
Wait till you start getting free sample formula in the mail. Sigh.
That would tick me off too! Dang BRU, they have no class if you ask me!
That is a tad narrow minded. You'd think they would train employees a bit better than that. Or why do you even have to train them? Sometimes it seems like common sense...
I'm getting info on how to breast feed if that makes you feel any better. Sheesh. One tiny registry, and boom, I'm bombarded with formula samples, coupons and info on nipples. MY nipples. It ticks me off too. You aren't alone.
I haven't registered so I had no idea this would happen. I have to say that BRU needs to step it up a bit and get with the times when adoption is a regular occurrence.
You'd think they would have encountered this before.
Count Target in there too. I have started receiving the "your pregnant" packages and it all started after I registered.
Also, Target required a due date as well. I put Jan 2007. I second your YEAH RIGHT!
I hate lists!
I HATE when they sell your info to other companies. We just recently had our phone # changed and I decided I would still write our old # on my check's and if they ask for it at the cash register. I'm hoping it stops some of the sale's call's. So far we haven't had a single call. Knock on wood.
my favorites (sarcasm here) are the brochures telling me first the development age of her in the uterus, then after the due date how far she'd developed since birth... don't worry, there's more crappy mail to come!
I don't think you are being overly sensitive at all. Just reading that made my blood boil. Someone needs to enlighten BRU about adoption. I am seriously considering writing them a letter. "I have to fill in a due date" What??? That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard! The scanner won't work unless a due date is entered? They have GOT to be kidding! I am so mad right now!!
I honestly think someone should organize a letter (email) campaign to BRU with a gentle nudge that many of us build(t) our families through adoption.
The selling of list is a sad fact of life, but the demand for a due date is clearly insensitive. It would be interseting to see if a small group of us could generate enough interest to get BRU to change their format.
I would offer to be the ring leader but since I my baby days are behind me ( my kids are no 7 and 6), it might mean more coming from a new parent or soon to be parent. I would be glad to write a letter.
Lori
We get them, too. BUT they come in WILL'S name. Go figure. Not sure how or why but they started arriving while he was in Iraq last year. I stockpiled the formula samples and used it in our conversion. However, I have gotten some coupons and samples that I can use. But unfortunately, my 15 month old won't qualify for the 4D ultrasound or cord banking.
Susan
Don't you think that some of these people need some sensitivity training...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home